FSV adhesive

How this new glue is used. April 9, 2003

What is FSV glue?

(From WOODWEB's Veneer Forum)
FSV stands for Flexible Sheet Veneer, which is a new product on the market. This is a PVA adhesive with increased tackifiers. It is designed to allow you to use a PVA adhesive flexible or paper backed veneer.

You roll your glue out, lay veneer and use a scraper, roller or pinch roller to compress the adhesive into the veneer.

Takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Think about it - 8 minutes in the vacuum bag - that's throughput!

As stated, FSV Adhesive is new on the market and gives a semi-ridge glue line to a flexible product that moves when moisture is added to it and also moves with the changing seasons after installation is long over and done with if you are now using contact adhesive.

FSV is a one-sided adhesive in most cases (depending on veneer backer). It does not require a cold press, hot press or a bag press to work.

FSV will allow you to reset your veneer if you placed it down wrong. It will take hold fast, set up fast and has full cure in 24 hours.

Try it. You will like it if you are using any of the following combinations: 10-mil paper, SanPly-4 or SanPly-3 sheet veneer. Also works good with the thicker backers as well as plastic laminates, but requires adhesive on both faces.

FSV will do away with orange peel appearance on sheet veneer when using high gloss sheens.

Locke Wilde, forum technical advisor

I've had good results with FSV when applied to just one side of a wood/laminate hand layup. Using a 7.3 wet mil build applied with a foam brush, and a 5 minute open time, an independent user complained of cut fingers trying to separate the laminate from the substrate after a 16 hour cure. I learned later that there were no cut fingers but that the term was meant to indicate satisfaction.

I have a couple of gallons on the way from Veneer Systems. Since there seems to be the need for a thicker glue line (applying FSV to veneer and substrate) when laminating thicker veneers, is the glue line thinner when using raw veneer or is it thicker? Does the potential for movement require a thicker glue line? Raw veneer is thinner but has the potential to move more than a backed veneer, which is stabilized.

You might want to go to the adhesive forum and ask Jeff. I don't think you should use FSV on raw veneer. The way I understand it, FSV is made for backed veneers.

Locke Wilde, forum technical advisor

Comment from contributor S:
I have experienced less then satisfactory results cold rolling FSV to curved substrate. I recommend using a vac press for any veneeer on curved substrate work. If I was going to the bag, I'd use urea resin and have ridgid glue line.