Fast Glue for Miter Joints

New fast-setting adhesives are a great tool for trim carpentry, and these photos demonstrate how strong they are. May 20, 2006

Question
Has anybody used FastCap's 2P-10 glue, which is supposed to bond in 10 seconds? I was thinking about using it for crown mold so that I could get nice square corners without nail holes to fill.

I use miter bond, which is essentially the same thing. It works great - I love the stuff.

The process is da bomb, regardless of manufacturer. There’s a bit of a learning curve - how much glue/accelerator for various materials (like anything else). It's a bit expensive, but definitely ups the quality, and saves time. I wouldn’t go into a trim job or an install without it. I use it in the shop, too, for quick repairs of splinters and small splits. Dang strong, too.

What are the names of this glue and who sells it? Sounds great for crown!

You can find the FastCap 2p-10 glue on Amazon and a few other online stores. One out of PA is cdmcabinethardware.com. Also check out the FastCap website to find retailers in your state. The glue works great!

Thanks for all the info! I hate crown, but seem to get so much of it lately. This should make it a little more bearable. I always get pre-finished crown and it's very tedious work.

Just got my 2P-10 kit yesterday and happened to have a kitchen to crown today. The 4" crown was pre-finished cherry with a glaze, which doesn't look good with any filler. Great stuff! Really don't know what I was thinking before the 2P-10. I bought the kit with the medium, heavy, jel, debonder and activator for $36. I thought it was pricey for some super glue, but it paid for itself just today, and a perfect job.

On one section that wrapped around a corner, 7 feet by 7 feet (outside corner), I glued up the two pieces before putting them up. I had this 7x7 "L" of crown sitting on the counter. I also had my 23 ga pinner on the same counter. The other installer caught the air hose with his foot. The glued-up piece crashed to the tiled floor, but the corner held perfect. Truly strong bond in seconds.

The photo is a 1x5 of poplar I glued up tonight (about 3/4" overlap). I tried pulling it apart after 20 seconds and couldn't. I then pushed down on a table and had my wife push the other end. Snapped the wood but not the bond! It will change the way I work.

Where it snapped... When I went to knock that remaining piece off again with a hammer, about 1/2 the joint held again and took off more splinters. I'm sold.