Fastening Cabinet Legs to Tile over Radiant Heat

Can't penetrate a floor? Silicone adheres well to tile. April 12, 2011

Question
I have to install two free standing island legs that will be connected to the island cabinets with a 4" apron at the top, only. Typically I'll secure the bottom of the legs with a hanger bolts that screw into both the floor and bottom of the legs. I can't do that here, though, as they have a tile floor, with radiant heat below.

Any suggestions on how to anchor the bottom of the legs (or if I even need to)? I was thinking of scuffing the tile where the leg would meet it and putting down a small dab of epoxy to bond the two. Not sure how effective that would be though.

High quality construction adhesive is better for different materials. Also, I doubt you could scuff tile enough to get epoxy to stick to it. We don't typically fasten to the floor unless it is freestanding.

It won't need much. A couple dabs of construction adhesive should do the trick. If you want overkill mortice the bottom of the legs out to slip over a small block (or dowel) mounted to the floor.

Clear silicone sticks to glass very well, and, since glazed tile is essentially a glass surface, it should hold quite well. Silicone is also clear, so ooze out is not generally a problem.

I agree with Contributor M. I would go with gobs of silicone and try to cover as much surface area as possible, then just clean up as you usually would. Make sure no one bumps or kicks the legs before the silicone has time to set! I do this all the time and have never had a problem. Of course an anchor would be a better solution, but where you are on top of tile and that is on top of radiant, you don't have too many options.

Drill a hole as deep as the tile insert dowel with PL and wood glue in the hole on the bottom of the leg. Iíve never had a problem doing it that way.

Don't drill into that tile unless you are 100 percent certain you know exactly where the heating is. If the tile is ceramic and you are concerned about adhesion with silicone to the tile, you could scarify the glaze off the tile with an angle grinder and a diamond blade; then you'd be gluing to the bisque, which is porous and more likely to give a good bond.

Use a good grade clear silicone. If any oozes out let it set for a day then come back and scrape it off with a razor blade. Silicone is plenty string as long as you let it set up! Just donít smear it around because it makes an awful mess and if you need to refinish at some point it could cause you problems (if used too liberally).