Feed Rate and RPM for Bamboo on the CNC

Struggling to eliminate chatter when cutting bamboo, a CNC operator gets advice on tooling and settings, as well as on specifying tool paths. April 17, 2009

Question
I can't get the chatter down using downshear spirals, compressions, anything. I can't tell if it's the RPM's or just the chip isn't getting out. Does anyone have experience with bamboo sheetstock?

What is your material thickness and part size? What type of machine and HP do you have?

I'm cutting screens out of 1/4" and 3/4" bamboo, with some pocketing. I'm running a Biesse Rover with a 10HP spindle.

Can you provide us with the diameter and cut length of the tool?

I'm either using a 6.23mm diameter two-flute down with a 24mm cut length or a 12.61mm two-flute down with a 31mm cut length. I also have a 12.55mm two-flute compression.

Based on Courmatt's tools, the following would apply:
The 6.23 OD feed speed should be 600IPM @ 18K
The 12.61 OD feed speed should be @ 900IPM @ 18K.

If you reduce your feed speeds, reduce your RPMs. If you still are getting some chatter (it seems the tools have serviced) try a new tool and change your collet.

Something else to keep in mind is that bamboo is not wood. Though it shares many characteristics of wood, it is still actually a member of the grass family.

In what way should he compensate for that?

Unfortunately I don't have that answer, as I have never had to work with bamboo. What prompted my first response was remembering an article I read in Wood & Wood Products somewhere around two years ago. The article talked about some of the differences, and specifically stated that it is not actually wood. If I remember correctly it did have some basic info on tooling as well as feeds and speeds.

I've had quite a bit of experience cutting bamboo. Feed rates are less of a concern than your approach to actually cutting the material. It has a tendency to split if you enter and exit the cut at the corner, especially in the solid (vs multi/cross layered) variety. My best results were always when starting the cut in the middle of a straight stretch. I would favor a 1/2 inch compression bit for 3/4 inch material and a 1/4 inch down spiral bit for the 1/4 inch material. I recall that the 3 flute 1/4 inch down spiral from Vortex worked quite well for 1/4 inch material. If you are using similar feed rates and still getting chatter, I'd try a new collet or bit as contributor G suggested, though I think the feed rates he listed are a bit fast. I run bamboo at 400 ipm (at 18k) for 1/4 inch cutter in 1/4 inch material, and 600 ipm (at 18k) for 1/2 inch cutter in 3/4 inch material. Other than splitting, I haven't found bamboo to be a demanding material to work with and it is somewhat similar to Baltic birch.