Feed Rates and Speeds for Scribing Metal-and-Plastic Composite

CNC owners offer advice for engraving letters in an unusual composite panel (metal laminated to plastic). December 31, 2012

Question
I just purchased Amana's "In-Groove CNC insert engraving system" and am trying to engrave a name on a plate using the 30 degree V bit. I am running it at the recommended 142 inches/min at 18,000 rpm but still get burning on the piece. I don't have a lot of pieces to practice on, so I could use some help on recommendations. I am going to go in today and try to use a slower setting. The piece I am cutting is around 3mm thick plastic with a thin layer of metal on top and I am only going in about 0.1mm.

Only suggestion I can offer is try to separately machine a thin metal sheet screwed down to a block of wood and a plastic sheet alone, and then glue them together with contact cement. Every time I've cut aluminum it gets hot and is a fire hazard - much hotter than just hot enough to melt plastic.

18,000 rpmís are too high. We recommend about 14,000 for our tools. Plastic is a tough material to cut. You have to make the tool take a good chip because that is what carries the heat away from the tool.

Try decreasing your spindle speed to 12,500-13,500 and increasing your feed rate to about 250-300 inches/minute and take a bigger bite to keep the bit cooled down as the previously mentioned. Sometimes these bits are designed to cool themselves down as they run.

I just looked at that feed speed/rpm for that tool on Amanaís website and I see a difference to what you are saying, are you going .1mm deep or .01" deep?

If itís an ACM material like Nudo cut it as fast as your machine allows while still getting a good finish. We cut it every day and it cuts like butter. I think this is one of those times where tooling manufacturers haven't done enough testing to have baseline charts.

Thatís way too fast. I cut at 10,000 or less and itís as fast a feed as I can go.

Slow down the rpmís and if youíre going to be doing a lot of this type of work get yourself a cold air gun. We use a vortex mounted onto the spindle housing with a flexible segmented hose and nozzle allowing the cold air to get right at the cutting zone. It really does work well. We have used the in-groove system and had mixed results. Iím not convinced it's that good of a product.

I have the In-Groove as well. I recently switched to Southeast Tools engraving bits.

You switched from the In-Groove to Southeast, what is your feedback on the In-Groove tools?

It is one of those things were one came loose and I just never tried it again. I have a bunch of other end tips and may try one more time.

I ran the program again. I kept the rpmís at 18,000 but slowed the speed down to 57 inches/min and it worked great.