Filing Laminate Edges Left-Handed

Files are mostly designed for the right-handed craftsman, but a left-hander can file as well as a right-hander after practice. June 12, 2014

My new employee is left handed and can't file as fast as everyone else because the files are made for right hand use. I can't find a file made for left handed use. Do left handed people just learn to file backwards?

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
Have him pull instead of push.

Like many things in life left handed people just don't get catered for. This generally makes us highly adaptive to ambidextrous tasks. I am left handed and was told by my first boss I would never be able to file as efficiently or effectively as a right handed person. Luckily his negativity merely inspired me to prove him wrong. The last couple of years of my employment before going it alone I was the go-to guy in a 20 strong team for any detailed laminate work as I did the best job of filing. I use a standard file running a slightly steeper angle than usual. I do a light forward run then apply a little more pressure on the back run. Let your worker know it can be done if he perseveres.

He has learned to file with a regular file now. It's not fair but what could one do?

I'm left handed too and don't see it as a problem at all. You may have to hold onto it differently, but it works just fine.