Filled Versus Unfilled Edgebander Glue

Whether to use filler in glue for banding panels. November 30, 2009

I have a Brant KDN210B coming from Stiles in a couple weeks. I will be using it mainly to apply red oak tape to red oak veneer core plywood. I will also be doing limited amounts of PVC banding over veneer core (white on white).

I am confused as to what type of adhesive I should be loading into the pot for my applications. What exactly are the differences in performance characteristics of filled and unfilled glues as they pertain to my application needs? And is there one type of glue that will work for both products?

I have gathered that cleaning out the pot can be a real hassle, so I don't want to make a mistake and load it with the wrong material. I have learned enough lessons from the school of hard knocks, and figure the learning curve on this machine will be steep enough without causing more problems for myself from inexperience.

As far as I know the filler is to add color, but also ends up fouling your glue pot faster. We use natural with no filler and have no issues with the color of the glue line, as it is too thin to notice. We use Jowatherm glues - they will have a recommended glue for your bander depending on feed speed, etc.

Thanks. I was thinking that unfilled natural would be the way to go, but wasn't quite sure.

Ditto contributor G's experience. We have a new Kdn210 and really like it. We use Jowat unfilled, clear for nearly everything. Filled is primarily used for stiffer banding which needs a potentially thicker glue line.

We use Dorus brand by Henkel. Contact them for the recommended adhesive for your application. Henkel also sells an excellent water based contact cement.

You can use Jowat 280.30 unfilled hotmelt - elastic, low melt viscosity and good resistance oxidation as well as good colour and stability in the melt. The product has a wide range of applications due to its good heat-sealing properties, heat resistance, and hot tack. Very good mechanical processing characteristics, exact application without hot melt stringing. You can use this product for stick veneer edges, PVC and ABS, flat bonding and soft forming procedures, and also for slow edgbanders. I am using this product and I am very happy with it.