Flat-Profile Crown Moulding

Some might call it a "Shaker" or "Mission" detail. Here are some examples and discussion of crown moulding with simple, flat faces. June 3, 2013

I am looking for some pointers how to attach shaker crown molding and also what style works the best. If I use a plain, straight crown, do I just nail on the face (angled) area? If I do, I will be nailing through .75" of material. My local supplier doesn't stock shaker crown, so that is why I'm not very familiar with it. I will have to get it from a different supplier I suppose (Walzcraft, Westwind, etc.) Maybe someone has a supplier recommendation and also an installation solution that has worked well?

I've made that flat style crown by cutting the 38/52 deg bevels just like making conventional crown. I surface to 5/8 thick or so, then cut my bevels front and back. You can nail it near the bottom in the flat portion.

Like this? Just nail or screw it through the top.

Here is a sample of a crown we did for a small mission style kitchen. Certainly a bit more involved than a flat crown but it came out rather well, and you don't have to worry about weird angles.

I think what you describe is about what I was thinking as well. I wasn't so sure about nailing on the face, but might have to.

Contributor E - the cabinets will be going to the ceiling, so that is not an option. Good idea though in the right circumstance.

Contributor A - that's amazing and very decorative! I'll have to keep something like that in mind for the future. That's a lot of miter saw work.

When I did it I just attached it to the face frame.