Flow-Over Stripping Systems

Finishers discuss practical considerations and safety concerns relating to air-driven pump-powered flow-over stripping systems.. December 15, 2005

I want to buy a stripping system and I am interested in the Air Driven Flow-over pumping system. Has anybody worked with it? I'd appreciate it very much if you share your experiences with this or any other similar system, including any pros, cons and cautions you might have.

The flow over stripping method is the only way I would ever choose to strip furniture in a refinishing production shop. Compared to the brush on paste method you will increase your rate of stripping at least ten fold. We use nonflammable methylene chloride strippers and a lacquer thinner wash. You will need very good ventilation and the user will need a full rubber apron, sleeves, gloves, respirator, and face shield. My company set up ours in an old spray booth, pulling the fumes away from the user. We lined the walls with tin sheet metal added ventilation to the floor to keep the fumes collected. Check you local city ordinances for restrictions - you might need a permit.

You should consider also purchasing a stripper waste recapture and filter. The best value I have found for the actual chemicals is from Chemisphere. Kwick kleen and Besway also are good suppliers of stripping chemicals.

Kwick kleen is my preference because of product selection, prices and tech support. Flo-over is the way to go. If you are incorporated and or have employees then you have to be compliant. If you have no employees and you are a sole proprietor then OSHA standards are not enforced upon you.

Those pumps have become popular with strippers. The air drive or diaphragm pump can move fluid very rapidly. They can be used for transferring fluid from a drum to a pail and also can be used as the flow over pump during the stripping process. The price seems pretty high. The explosion-proof aspect is not required if you are stripping with methylene chloride based strippers since the formulas are non flammable. I would never recommend using flammable strippers in a flow over application. I have seen two deaths caused by fire in a flammable stripping operation. I would use Duff's sources and see if other equipment is available at a more modest price.