Following Up on Price Quotes

Sometimes a followup call or message leads to a sale. April 8, 2013

I have recently submitted quotations for custom made furniture, but have not received any reaction. Does anyone have tips or comments on offering a less expensive alternative to the initial quotation (doing so professionally without pestering the client)?

From contributor j:
You can call or email something along the lines of: "I've been thinking about your project and have found some ways to value-engineer the construction that can save you some money. Please contact me so we can further discuss the details."

Don't ever be afraid to follow up on a quote. Your put your time and expertise into it, I'm guessing. "Hi, this is Johan, I'm calling to follow up on my recent quote for your project." If leaving a voice mail, add, "I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your project further, thank you."

Once when my boss asked a company about a discount they looked away. "This is my price", they said. The initial quote is, quite literally, a first impression. We got a cold shoulder because they have a great rep and will get business from someone else if not from us. Did we follow up? No, not to say we wouldn't consider their items in the future. You have to seriously know your customer and adjust accordingly.

Recently I sent an email requesting "feedback" on my recent quotation. I received a positive response and the job. I do this on all my outstanding quotations. I invest a good amount of time in the preparation of a quote and feel comfortable asking what percentage I was higher if Iím not the low bidder. Most everyone provides this info.