Getting Glue Off Clamps

A discussion of glue release agents and cleaning methods for getting dried glue off equipment in the shop. aJanuary 14, 2013

Question
I used to have a bottle of a white liquid glue release agent around the shop. The idea was that you coated metal tool parts with it and then come cleaning time, dried glue came off easier. The product didn't work very well. I'm wondering if there are now better products available?

Minwax paste wax is the only thing I would risk getting on tools in the shop. Those other products may have silicone.

Yes… I saw some products with silicone also. Those were directed to the metal working industry, I think, so was hoping something else might exist that did not have silicone. Unfortunately we can't use wax on the specific item I'm trying to protect. It is a clamping machine and wax would defeat the anti-slip feature.

The white stuff you're referring to is most likely Boothcoat. JLT clamps included some with a purchase, as well as RFS Protech. An industry standard glue release. Every few months giving your clamps a good once over with a Scotchbrite wheel mounted on a mini-grinder will make them good as new. The stuff works better if your clamps are clean to begin with, and used often. We had let some go for awhile, including the platen on our RF press. We got tired of scraping and got a gallon of adhesive remover from the local orange store, which softened everything up and made cleaning a hundred times easier. But yeah, Boothcoat doesn't work very well.

Good tip about the Scotchbrite wheel - I will try that. We use a D A sander on our frame press, but I bet the wheel works better. I agree, Bates Booth Coat is marginal and must be applied all the time to work.

I use a heat gun. A few seconds and the glue or Bondo (was that out loud?) comes off with a swipe of a putty knife.
I think I'm going to try the heat gun next. Good idea and will be safe to do on our segment press that gets the glue buildup.