Getting a Wood Counter Edge Flush with the Laminate Top

There are several ways, depending on whether you want to spend money or time. August 31, 2005

Question
Does anyone out there have a fast way of getting a wood edge perfectly flush with a laminated countertop, other than using a flush router or cab scraper?

(WOODnetWORK Forum)
Apply your wood edge to the particleboard substrate first, then laminate on top - no worry about a gap between the wood and laminate or getting the wood flush with the laminate.

I wish it was that easy. Some architects spec a 3/4 inch wood edge and they want it perfectly flush with the laminate. I can do it, but it takes a lot of time. I glue it up as flush as I can get it and use a cab scraper for a finishing touch. I just wanted to know if anyone has any other fast tricks.

If you are going to be doing a lot of this, buy a lipping planer. Not cheap, but could pay for itself.

The trick is to use wood that is straight and flat. We sand the wood 4 sides first to make it straight, then use pocket screws from the underside of the top with a line of glue. Work with the top side down on the bench and just screw the trim on. You can feel if the two surfaces are flush; if off a little, loosen the screw and adjust before tightening again. This is easier than it sounds, as long as the wood is prepped properly first. No clamps to deal with or nail holes to fill.