Glazing Without Sanding

      Finishers discuss glazing techniques that don't risk sanding through stain coats into white wood. December 23, 2014

I have a customer that wants me to glaze her cabinets. I've not seen the cabinet doors but from what she says the crevices are not glazed but the outside corners are? She showed me a picture and it looks like the guy that built them did a creme color paint and took something brown like a crayon and just made a little stripe on the corners instead of leaving it in the crevices. If anyone knows this technique I'd like to know how to do it so that I can satisfy this customer thanks.

Forum Responses
(Finishing Forum)
From Contributor S

Click to View Member Profile Member Contact Info Categories

Sounds to me rather than a glaze it is a sand-through finish. It would be good if you could get a pic of the door and show us.

From the original questioner:
It actually looks like a sand-through to me too but if it is then the guy put a brown primer on the doors then probably put a coat of a creme color paint over it and then knocked off the corners.

From Contributor J

Click to View Member Profile Member Photo Member Contact Info Forum Posts Shop Gallery Categories

You can "color distress" with glaze - dry brushing comes first to mind. We did some black chairs recently with what looked like a sand-through to a cherry stain, but was a glaze on top of the black applied to the edges by pulling the flat side of a chip brush along the chair edge where color was desired. It saved a stain step and the chance of a burn through to white wood.

From the original questioner:
Interesting concept I have not tried that before. I halfway wonder what it would look like to just take a brown marker down the edge of the door?

From Contributor J

Click to View Member Profile Member Photo Member Contact Info Forum Posts Shop Gallery Categories

It might look cheap, depending on the sample. Or it might be just right.

From the original questioner:
I just had a thought. I wonder what it would look like to spray a brown dye, then do a creme primer and then do a sand through to show the dye? I’ve never done that before. I don't know if there would be adhesion issues or not?

From Contributor M:
I think it must have been done using the new technology. A machine called Luraboccsionkkey helps in getting such finishes.

From contributor Y:
Instead of sanding through and taking a chance on sanding through the base color to white wood, try using a vinyl sealer tinted to your top color; then, instead of sanding, use a rag with solvent (lacquer thinner) to wipe through. The vinyl sealer will be soft enough to wipe off to get the "sand-through" effect, then just top-coat. I know that deviates from your glazing question but applies to the other posts.

From contributor M:
Just buy some of the rectangle shaped Touch-Up Solutions edging sticks. They are like a really hard crayon, except they are made to be compatible with topcoating with lacquer/CV. I've done this before, they work well unless the sand-through is wide. If it's just corners, they will work fine. Otherwise, an assortment of broad-tip permanent markers can work. As can using aniline dye concentrates, applied with empty refillable magic markers.

From the original questioner:
Some of my same thoughts. I'll look into the touch up solution sticks.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing

  • KnowledgeBase: Finishing: General Wood Finishing

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2018 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article