Glue Choice for Wood Countertop

Glue creep, open time, and bond strength are issues when choosing an adhesive for gluing up wood butcher-block countertops. December 7, 2007

Question
Any suggestions and precautions on a black walnut and maple countertop? The top will be edge grain (1 1/4 wide) alternating woods, total size 30 x 60. Glue type, biscuits?

I used to use Titebond, but due to consistent glue creep, I have gone to using Weldwood plastic resin glue for this type of glue-up. No more glue creep. There is a downside... It takes 12 hours in the clamps at 70+ degrees. It can take up to a week to reach 100%, but is millable in 12 hours. You have to mix it per use. The upside is a long open time, great sandability, and no glue creep.

I've used the plastic resin glue on butcher blocks before and had glue joint failure. It seems to me that the resin glue doesn't soak in well. When I cut the end off of the strips and dropped them onto the floor, they would break apart and not shred the wood fibers. The Titebond has worked well for me.

It takes 12 hours clamp time minimum, and it must be 70 degrees or above. I had some real reservations at first also. I did a test just to check the joint, and after 24 hours I could break the glue line. However, in the directions it said 7 days to reach 100% cure. And in the winter at just 70 degrees, I rechecked at 1 week and it was a great bond. When it is 75-80, it's a lot shorter. The time involved is a definite downside, but it beats sanding down the finish a week or more later because of glue creep.