Glue for Pre-Finished Plywood

The cured surface of pre-finished plywood offers very poor adhesion for just about all glue. September 26, 2009

Question
Does anybody know of a glue that will bond poplar lumber or unfinished birch plywood to pre-finished maple plywood? Would something like ROO glue do this?

Roo or Franklin's melamine resin glue will work. You just need one face that is absorptive. Curing time is longer than with Titebond yellow glue. A bit of scuff sanding is a good idea.

I don't know we can give you a good answer. Here in Oregon I went to the local plant that makes the pre-finished plywood I buy. I went there because the finish is bulletproof and I wanted to find out where they get it. The owner said the product they use is a siliconized poly product. The silicon that's in it makes the adhesion of any of the plastic type glues like Titebond or Roo melamine glue unlikely. I have noticed that even after a glue joint sits awhile, a few good hard smacks will separate the joint and all you see is a thin layer of hardened dry glue. My guess is we would have to use something on the order of epoxy to really get a good mechanical joint. You might want to do a little homework and find out what your manufacturer is using and go from there.

Contributor E is right. The melamine glues don't work worth a hoot on UV cured pre-finished ply. Scuffing helps a little, but in order to get a glue bond worth having, you need to completely remove the finish. I have never tried epoxy though.

We tried all of the glues. They all fail. Either they don't like to stick to the pre-finished surface or the finish peels right off the plywood. We typically use rabbet/dado construction so gluing is a non-issue. However, we don't even bother anymore with glue when using butt joints... more screws.

There should be a PUR that would work - we have glued wood to glass.