Glue sizing veneer

Reasons for using veneer sizing. October 15, 2001

I have my reasons for glue sizing but some people in my company are not convinced that it does any good. Sometimes hearing an opinion from outside the company can change someone's views, so I would like to hear reasons and applications for glue size.

Some species work better if a veneer sizing is used. Species like crotch mahogany and some burls are brittle and wavy. The sizing relaxes the fibers in order to get a flatter veneer to apply due to the substrate. Sizing also is very good when you are doing radius work with veneer, because it allows the veneer to bend far greater without breaking.

Locke Wilde, forum technical advisor

I'm referring to a process you use a glue size concentrate for that is applied to a veneered panel, not a flattening agent to soften veneer.

Glue sizing is most effective on open pore species such as red oak and white ash. The glue size seals the pores and prevents glue bleed through. One thing to remember is glue size usually has very high water content. Water and veneer do not always work well together.