Gluing Metal to Wood

Adhesive suggestions for attaching a stainless steel top to a plywood subtop, and other metal-to-wood situations. February 27, 2013

Question
Any suggestions for affixing a stainless steel bar top to a plywood substrate? We tried silicone and didn't have much luck.

As long as the metal is cleaned from any oils, most PURs (like Gorilla Glue) will bond to it.

Epoxy. Just be sure the surfaces are clean and scuff them up with some coarse paper.

I'd recommend MDF for the substrate, or else kerf the plywood to accommodate differences in expansion between the materials.

Most general contact cements will work.

True poly adhesive/caulks typically have the best adhesion and toughness for bonding different materials. These are not PUR.

The best is 3M 5200. It is a marine or black white poly adhesive/caulk. It has been renowned in the marine community for over 30 years. The claim to fame is that it will hold a lead keel on a boat hull with no fasteners.

PL and Sikaflex make a similar product that is sold at Home Depot. They are both very good as well, but nothing beats 5200.

Surprised nobody has mentioned good old construction adhesive. Done this quite a few times using PL400 with good results.

I would like to glue copper sheet to a gluable backer (melamine on particleboard). I've gotten different opinions from suppliers. Any ideas?

PL construction adhesives will glue virtually anything to anything and I have had some interesting accidental glue-ups to prove it.

I have a client who wants to completely cover a lot of hollow metal door and window frames with hardwood trim to achieve a more traditional appearance. What would be the best adhesive assuming I don't want to use mechanical fasteners that would have to be countersunk and plugged?

From Jeff Pitcher, forum technical advisor:
Assuming they can clamp it, I'd suggest a reactive PUR.