Grain Filler for Painting Red Oak

How to fill open wood pores to get a smooth paint topcoat. July 17, 2008

Question
Most of the time I prefer other people to do the finish coatings on my cabinetry, but last week I volunteered to do a small renovation for a local non-profit organization and did my own painting. I built the cabinetry out of whatever materials I had on hand in the shop, thinking that since it was getting painted, it wouldn't matter. Most of the casework was birch ply with a poplar face frame, but I ran short and made two of the doors out of red oak. When I primed it, the grain pores were still open. So I sanded, re-primed, and it was still noticeable. I sprayed the finish coat, sanded and recoated. While a little better at each turn, the pores were still noticeable to my eye when I was finished (client was thrilled). My question is, when painting an open-pored wood like RO, what can be done to fill the pores so as to get a smooth finish? And at what stage do you do this? Also, just for future reference, how does this work if doing stain-grade?

I would, after sanding and staining, spray 2 or 3 coats of Milesi SPA polyurethane sealer. That will fill the grain. Sand it down with either 220 or 150, then lacquer it.

At this stage, you can simply give the surface a thin coat of latex wood filler and sand smooth with 320, then top coat.

We use a paste grain filler from Chemcraft. You need to mix colour with it. Apply with a rag and as soon as it starts to flash off, wipe at a 45 degree angle across the grain with a piece of burlap to remove most of the filler and then finish with the grain with a clean rag to remove the rest. Let dry 24 hours and finish as usual. Normally we only grain fill tops for tables or desks.