Gross tally vs. net tally

The difference between "gross" and "net" tallies in lumber processing is explained. July 18, 2000

Q.
Would you please explain the terms "gross tally" and "net tally" for me?

A.
The National Conference on Weights and Measures (which is the law in most states) adopted the following in 1977:

"Sales of hardwood lumber measured after kiln drying shall be ... on the basis of net board footage with no addition of footage for kiln drying shrinkage."

Now, 23 years later, we still see people adding back for kiln dried footage -- which gives you the gross footage.

The net footage is the actual footage.

Sometimes the lumber will be measured before kiln drying and then dried. This is bad for the purchaser as the wood shrinks about 5 percent, and the grade will be lowered (a little or a lot!), so it is like buying blind.
Gene Wengert, forum moderator

Thanks for clearing that up for me. My confusion began with a look at prices listed in the "Weekly Hardwood Review," which has a page for net tally prices and one for gross tally prices. A couple of people that I asked couldn't explain the difference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------