Grounding a CNC Router

Stray voltage can zap your operator and also fry your electronics. Here's how to ground the machine. January 21, 2007

This time of year, the humidity gets lower, and I have noticed lately that when I cut melamine on our CNC, I often get shocked by the static electricity when unloading the vacuum table. It's starting to get annoying. Anyone have a quick fix?

Are you using PVC pipe for your dust collection or metal?

Metal pipe on the dc.

Ground the machine and that will eliminate the shocks. Also, you do not want the current running through your computer that runs the machine, which could be very costly. I would call the manufacturer and ask where the best place is to add a grounding cable to your machine.

We had the same problem. We checked the metal frame for current and had a few volts running through it. Just take a volt meter and touch it to a good ground and find bare metal on your frame to see if it has voltage. All you do is get a 6 foot ground rod, drill a hole in your concrete floor, drive the rod into the earth, add ground wire to a bare spot on the router, and it gets rid of the wild voltage. Also, my electrician told me to make the hole in the slab a little bigger, so in the extra dry months I can add a little water in the holes to make the ground damp. He said the damper it stays, the better the ground.

Thanks. I'm installing a grounding rod now.