Gun Recommendations for Spraying Shellac

Advice on gun and tip choices for use with shellac. December 6, 2011

I am bidding on stripping and refinishing two full bedroom suites that a client would like redone in shellac. I have sprayed lots of shellac in the past, usually drawer interiors, small boxes, or as a sealer on larger products using my Wagner turbine/Capspray system. I have not sprayed shellac as the final coat on large areas, like a queen sized headboard. I am thinking about using my Kremlin AAA with an 06-094 tip but am concerned it may pump out too much fluid and I'll be getting rid of runs and sags instead of making money. I have a couple of HVLP guns which I use for small areas like chair frames, etc. Does anyone have any experiences or recommendations they'd care to share?

Use a smaller tip.

I am assuming the client has insisted on Shellac for some reason. Wouldn't be my first choice for something like this but if that is what they want. I would get a sheet of 1/4" plywood and practice spraying beforehand and work out any bugs with your setup. Spraying shellac flows out nicely if applied with a good brush. Just make sure to setup good ventilation and follow all necessary precautions.

You definitely want to spray shellac with fairly light coats. The tip you'd use is dependent on the how heavy (or light) of a shellac cut you use to spray. Do you know what you would be spraying yet? And do you have a viscosity cup to measure it? I've never had good luck brushing shellac on any surface larger than a drawer bottom. It flows out well enough, but still dries quickly and leaves overlap marks. You could pad it on, although that's a pretty large surface.

Personally, I spray a 1.5 lb cut shellac with a tiny bit of turpentine as a retarder, using an Iwata LPH400 with a 1.2mm needle/nozzle setup. It can be used with a 5 cfm compressor. Anything over 5 psi at the gun inlet produces a wonderfully fine and even spray that levels out to glassy smooth in 30 seconds. Dry to the touch in five minutes and ready for a recoat in ten. You should be able to get good results with a less expensive gun, as long as you have something like a 1.0 mm N/N setup (for a full-size gun, 0.8mm in a mini gun) and the gun is working well - check your spray pattern. The Iwata is kind of pricey if you are considering it for just one project, though. I use it for my main gun, and it is definitely worth the investment. It sprays waterborne finishes extremely well with a 1.4mm n/n setup.

The client specified shellac as she wants to retain the authenticity of the piece. I spray a 1.5lb cut and mix my own from flakes. The HVLP guns I have are Iawata knock offs with a 1mm n/n, so I'll give one a try if I get the job.