Gypsy Moth Egg Case

Identifying these egg cases in the woods. January 6, 2005

The image below shows one of what I suspect are insect egg cases attached to black cherry bark. They are usually about 4-6 ft. off the ground but sometimes higher. My guess is eastern tent caterpillar or gypsy moth, but I'd like a more definitive identification. Anyone know for sure what these are? My inclination is to "rub 'em out" using a stick end (simple but effective), but have no desire to do that unless they are a leaf-eating variety and will do damage.

Forum responses
Yes, it is gypsy moth eggs. You can read about their cycle at this URL: