Handles for Sliding Glass Office Windows

      June 4, 2009

I'm doing a bunch of millwork for a social work agency total remodel. The GC or someone ordered sliding glass windows, like you see in doctor's reception offices. The problem is, there's no handle to slide - you have to put your hand on the glass and the glass is tempered already. I've seen other installations with the groove cut into the glass, the handles drilled through, etc, but none of that is an option without reordering the glass (they're already way over budget).

The agency has asked if we have a solution (we've come to their rescue on some other items and now are seen as the "go-to" guys). I know I've seen something like a plastic handle with a slot that would fit over the edge, and allow someone to slide open the glass without getting their fingerprints on it, but I certainly can't find a thing online anywhere I've searched. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I should point my attention?

Forum Responses
(Cabinet and Millwork Installation Forum)
From contributor S:
If you go to Outwaterhardware.com, keyword handles, then click on glass door and there you have it. They have a "J" handle that slips over the edge of the door in three different finishes.

From contributor Z:
The only thing that might be a problem is with a "J" handle. The width increases about an 1/8 to 3/16 so he should check the width of the recess the glass slides into.

From the original questioner:
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of gluing a nice handle, but I think the J handle will work better for this client. There's no recess to worry about, so it will work fine (A lot of decisions on this job have happened after the fact, I have a feeling they built the room before anyone had decided how they wanted to treat the window).

From contributor S:
The other good thing about a "J" handle is the customer can't open the glass. With a hole or recess they also can open it. The "J" handle is one sided – that’s your selling point.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Doors and Windows

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2019 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article