Height of Closet Poles

Where to set closet poles. March 3, 2009

Question
Does anyone have suggestions on closet pole height for short items and long hanging items? I used to have a height for single hanging and double hanging but it got lost.

These days everything is custom so it depends on the clients you are working for. I allow 36" clear for a double hang but prefer 42" if the space allows. For long hang I'd allow at least 60" but prefer 66" so the clothes don't touch the floor.

Hmm... why don't you put a coat on the hanger and measure? I agree that 36" and 66" is the magic number that you're looking for.

We started doing closet systems several years ago to keep our schedule full. As a rule, 42" is standard among closet suppliers. However, we learned to consider the actual customer when laying out a closet. Tall people require a greater height of short hang versus a shorter person. When doing a double hung section, the height of the verticals is commonly 84" or 96". The 84" can only be divided into 2 - 42" sections, so we explain during the sales presentation what to expect. If needed we can put hang-over shelves to get a 43" or 44" height so that the clothing does not drag. Also folded pants are usually shorter than a shirt, so the actual clothing may have some consideration.