Hide Glue and Temperature

Warm working conditions are essential to the performance of traditional hide glue. November 14, 2014

I enjoy using hide glue. Itís nice to be able to change my mind, and (strange to admit) I sort of enjoy the smell, but I had trouble last winter with it gumming up and not spreading nicely. Was it the temperature in my shop? I try to keep it above 57 or so. Or did I just not add enough water? I thought I mixed it like I always have.

Yes your shop is too cold. The trick with hot hide glue is the warmer the better. In olden days the glue areas were hell (literally) to work in as they really kept the temperature up. It helps as well to heat the pieces you're going to glue with a heat lamp or hair dryer to give you enough time to get your clamps on. Once it starts to gel you're toast. Also be sure your glue is fresh, and you'll need to add a bit of water now and again to replace what's lost through evaporation. Congatulations on using hide glue as it has properties no other glue has and is the only glue that should be used when it's expected to need future repairs as in antique furniture and much instrument repair. Good luck!