Home-Built Logging Trailer Ideas

Log trailer show and tell. April 20, 2011

Question
Iím trying to think of a way to build a logging trailer out of a deck over trailer and was wondering if anyone has done such a thing like this. Iím not sure if it would be possible but I was trying to figure a way that it could be used on the principle of a cherry picker only reinforced better with an electric winch and guide rollers and pulleys. Any information would be appreciated.

Here is a photo of mine. I bought a car carrier for about $700 and used a mobile home axle for the mast and boom and a piece slightly smaller inside the mast so it would pivot. I drilled in a couple of grease fittings on the mast to keep it lubed up. The boom is around 100" long or more and still allows me to load 16' logs. The hydraulic jack support is a HF 8-ton and the trailer is outfitted with a couple of outrigger jacks. The winch is a 3,000lb with 24 volts being punched into it, for more power and speed on real heavy lifts, of up to about 2,000lbs. The boom goes up high and I also brace off the hydraulic jack as an insurance policy. It has lifted whatever I have needed and I believe the capacity is at around 2,000lbs. If you can swing it, I would recommend a heavier winch. I have now gone to a 5,500lb winch now.

I found it to be easier and cheaper to side load logs with a winch and ramps and special rigging with the winch cable. So far the biggest log I put on is a 32" dia red oak with little effort.

I have loaded logs that way and it worked well except you may need to reposition several times, or you need be in the right position and so far away to ramp it right. This method that I built gives me the opportunity to grab logs from many different positions and place them in the trailer. Of course I use tongs and depending on the trailer if rolling logs up the ramp you need to get over the wheels and/or the side rails, and then they drop in. But thatís trailer design. I have done it where you wrap the cable round the log and the winch pulls it.

I use the winch-over-the -side method and it works really well, especially if you roll the log, not drag it, up the ramps. A loop of chain on the ramp side goes under the log and can be reversed to unload.