Household Chemicals and Hardware Corrosion

      Household chemicals, pool chlorine, and other common substances can tear up brass or chrome fixtures. Here's an example. June 15, 2009

Question
The pictures below are from a job I did about six or seven years ago. They were taken in one of the two sink bases in the Masterbath. Only one of the sink bases had the problem, and it does not recur anywhere else in the house. There was no leak. The couple stored standard household chemicals in a Tupperware container under this sink. I've never seen anything like it, and assume that it must be some kind of chemical reaction between the cleaners. I'm curious as to everyone else's thoughts.


Click here for higher quality, full size image

A picture of the plumbing.


Click here for higher quality, full size image

The knob screw.


Click here for higher quality, full size image

The turn off.


Click here for higher quality, full size image

Forum Responses
(Cabinetmaking Forum)
From contributor B:
Check for chlorine in their "household" chemicals. Chlorine will cause metal to do that. I stored an old screwdriver in a deckbox with the chlorine tablets I use for my pool. The tablets were stored inside a screw on lid bucket. The screwdriver rusted so fast I was amazed. I left it in their just to see what would happen. I was surprised.



From contributor J:
I think you have some ammonia, muratic acid, or chlorine bleach gas trapped or stored in the sink base.


From contributor S:
It is a chemical reaction. I had the same problem with two hinges in an upper cabinet that had an open container of vinegar stored in it.


From the original questioner:
It just seems odd to me that in 20 years I've never had another client experience anything similar. We all have cleaners, why isn't this more common?


From contributor R:
More than likely they left the tops off or open on one or more of the aforementioned items. You can dissolve many metals with standard household chemical solutions. If that container is ""sealed"" they could have a very dangerous/explosive situation.


From contributor A:
The one item that comes to mind is muriatic acid, aka hydrochloric acid. It is probably the most aggressive chemical that can be found in a hardware store. Most people leave it in a garage and it eats through the metal shelving near it. The containers have a hard time keeping in the aggression once opened.


From contributor G:
Another possibility if they are home wine makers, is sodium sulfite, used to make sterilizing solution and is corrosive as all get out. Even in the dry state, it will corrode nearby metals if in an enclosed area.


From contributor JD:
On the coast of SC and in the Caribbean where I have worked this would be normal in houses that are left open to the elements. The good news is your hinge was not the culprit!


From contributor R:
My local hardware store used to store the pool chemicals next to metal cans of stains. They had to move the pool chemicals because every can of stain on the shelf rusted. My guess is that there is an open container or bleach in the cabinet.


From contributor W:
By the looks of that knob screw, the butt hinges would have been ruined as well.


From contributor A:
Those beautiful Brusso polished brass butt hinges would turn a very nice green patina in those environments.



Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?


Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking

  • KnowledgeBase: Cabinetmaking: General


    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.



    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2017 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB











  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers


      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article