Identifying the Cut of Oak Veneer

Different slicing methods create different grain and fleck patterns. October 14, 2006

Question
I'm planning on repairing some damaged oak veneer. I would appreciate help identifying exactly what type of veneer this is. Specifically, I'm interested in identifying the cut of the veneer. I saw on the FramaTech.net site three different types of white oak veneer cuts - quarter sawn, flat cut, and rift cut. The current veneer isn't quarter sawn. But I'm not sure how to distinguish flat and rift cuts. Are there any other cut types?

Rift cut white oak veneer is straight grain and plain sliced or flat cut veneer will have a cathedral effect. There is also rotary cut oak which has a wild look to it. The rift cut white oak will be similar to quarter cut; however, it will not have any flake or tiger stripe in it. Rift is also called combed grain.

Thanks! Very succinct and helpful response.