Improving Adhesion with Plastic Edgebanding

Here's a tip: try priming the banding with contact cement. January 2, 2012

Question
Iím using a Cehisa EP2S bander and I find that laminate doesn't stick very well when used as edging. I can bang it or yank it off with little effort. I'm using Jowat glue pellets but I'm considering using Helmitin brand next time. Will this help?

Some shops sand the back, some clean the back. You can do a search here for additional bonding you info.

When running HPL edging you need to prime the back of the laminate. Most edgbanding companies sell the primer.

I'll ask my supplier. One shop I worked in used watered down white glue for sizing on 6mm maple edge so maybe I'll experiment with that while I'm waiting.

We simply spray the backside of the laminate strips with contact cement then once it's dry we band. It works great, give it a try.

To contributor D: Are you using the contact like the primer Contributor R was talking about?

We are using standard solvent based contact cement as the primer instead of a separate primer product. The contact sticks well to the phenolic and the Dorus 351 edgeband glue sticks well to the contact. It works great and it's easy.