Installing Fabric into Speaker Doors

Cabinetmakers suggest ways to fasten the cloth into doors on a cabinet that will house speakers. November 23, 2012

I'm building an entertainment center and the center doors require speaker fabric. These are standard frame and panel doors built in house. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this?

I've done this before but can't remember what I did. I may have just glued up the frame and then made 1/4 x 1/2 fillers that fit into the profile groove, which is 5/8 deep. Lay the oversized fabric in door and tap in fillers and hold in place with some 1/2" screws from the back, so could be replaced as necessary.

That is exactly how I make them. I taper one edge just slightly so it goes in easy at first, then pulls the fabric tight as it seats. Do north, south, then east, west.

I have done this once. I built the door without a panel and then rabbeted the back little lip off. Then I made up some strip, like 3/8 by 3/8 or whatever would wind up being flush with the back and the inside edge of the stiles and rails. I put the fabric in and put my pieces in and pinned them. Then cut the excess fabric off of the back. It worked pretty well, but sounds like your idea would look better from the back.

Make a standard glass door frame, use rigid speaker fabric from the October company, insert panel like glass panel, fasten in place the same as you do for glass. Neat and easy.

I have done this by using a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" ply cut a little smaller than the opening where the panel would go. Cut out the center of the panel, leaving 1.5"- 2" all around, stretch and staple on the fabric. Quick and easy, but not pretty from the inside.