Installing a Kitchen Island over Tile

How to attach a cabinet base to a tile floor. July 2, 2008

Question
How do you install an island over tile without destroying the tile? The customers do not want me to drill or remove anything. Can I glue it down? If I was to glue it down, what could I use?

If you can't drill through the tile maybe you could drill into a grout line at a place where four tiles come together, then anchor some blocking to screw the cabinet to. Some liquid nails under the blocking would also help.

You can glue it down. I have build a frame under the cabs that are the right height, glued it to the floor and then screwed through the cabs down into the frame.

What type of glue?

If your island has any weight to it at all you don't need much to hold it down. A light bead of silicone or pl glue should do it.

Try polyurethane construction adhesive. Clean the tile first with alcohol or something similar.

Sometimes the clients need to be educated on what can and cannot be done. Chances are any adhesive that is strong enough to firmly anchor an island will ruin the tiles it's attached to, whereas if you drill through the grout line it can always be filled at a later time.

Make sure it's ok to do this with local codes also. In my state any island which is secured must have electrical supply on it which would obviously mean drilling holes in the tiles.

Screwing through the grout line is the way to go, but make sure they know the downfall if they remove the island (grout color difference, not only where the holes are, but the surrouding color variation box where the island was).

Other ways it's been done in clude:

1. Casters with locks (no fastener method).

2. Install 3-4 threaded pins in the grout line on one side (depending on size of island); drill a corresponding hole in the bottom of the island, and set in place.

3. Weighted base (no fastener method) - fabricate a separate to-kick box (complete box), which can have weights added to it on each corner, then attach rubber bumpers to the bottom, which won't slide on the tile. Position where the island will go, fill the box with weights (as much as you want, but be sure to secure whatever weights you use to the bottom or side of the toe-kick box), close the top (it's a box remember), then attached the island cabinet to the top of the toe-kick box. Attach finished kick material leaving a 1/6'-1/8" gap. The combination of the weights, bumpers, cabinet and countertop, along with the contents of the island and it's not going anywhere. Just make sure you charge for this.

There are other ways, but you get the picture. Personally, I would sell her on the idea of blocking screwed through the grout line. If she doesn't warm to that idea, propose the other alternatives above, at a premium, and she'll come around.

Before you screw into the grout lines make sure there is no in-floor radiant heating. Glue it down with PL Premium or some other polyurethane glue.