Interruptions, Interruptions

What can you do if you've applied contact cement to your particleboard, but then something happens before you apply the laminate? February 3, 2011

I was building a small kitchen top outside recently and had the edges on and the PB sprayed with adhesive and the laminate sprayed as well. I put my sticker stick on the top and was walking over to pick up the laminate sheet and the only gust of wind all day lifted it and snapped it in four pieces right in front of my eyes!

I cannot get another sheet of laminate for another week and have already sprayed the top with adhesive. Can I still use that top by reactivating the glue with lacquer thinner? Or can I spray more adhesive on top of the PB or sand down? What is the best course of action that will give me good results without starting over; or is that the best option here?

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
I was just doing the same thing recently at work, the only difference was that I had sprayed the material, and had another guy accidently blow garbage all over the top. I didn't know what had happened until I went to lay the piece and there wasn't a place on the under the sheet that wasn't flat. I took the sheet off and while moving it, banged it against the top and broke it. It was the only piece I had and I felt like a schmuck to have to order a new piece. I sanded the glue off. Now I can start anew without worrying about junk being on the top.

The Wilsonart we spray on states that it has about two hours working time and if needed, after this time, just spray on a layer of new contact. I would let it dry completely and then sand the contact off. Chances are you won't be able to protect the surface from junk landing on it.

From contributor BD:
I've had this happen to me before. I don't believe you can reactivate the glue with lacquer thinner. I've de-laminated tops with lacquer thinner but never trusted it enough to reactivate the glue. If it is good and clean, you might try re-spraying, but if it's not I'd sand it down.

We have done this more times than I wish to admit over 28 years! Just sand it so you remove the large particulate, apply glue and you're good to go. The secret is making sure you have a relatively smooth surface. If you're using vertical or postformed grade laminate, it must be very smooth. Standard grade will require less sanding of the core product. Hopefully you are holding the core in an area where there is less dust, etc floating around, or you have it upside down while waiting for your new sheet of laminate.