Is It Worth Learning Touch-Up Techniques?

Is it worth taking a class on touching up finishes? Some say yes, and some say absolutely. November 28, 2014

I’m a custom cabinetmaker who does his own finishing. I know I'm not the only person who has sanded through veneer or put a cross-grain scratch or the dreaded gouge in part of a piece with countless hours invested. I have an opportunity with a re-finishing company/business friend to learn touch up and repairs using aerosols, burn in sticks, wax sticks, epoxy sticks, bondo and graining pencils. Is this a lost art and would you consider this to be an invaluable experience?

I'd take him up on it in a heartbeat but I'm a full time finisher. Even if you're not there has to be some valuable info that will no doubt save you loads of time on some future mishap.

Definitely take the touch up class. Remember, a good touch up can disguise an imperfection and only you should know where the touch up was done.

I can't imagine it would ever hurt to have more knowledge, even if you don't end up using it? However I think you'll find a use for it down the road as there's always an “oops” moment every now and then. I am slowly becoming better at painting in problem areas, but still far from where I'd like to be.

I sent an employee to a three day touch up seminar. The money spent on wages and expenses came back ten-fold.

Thanks everyone. I feel blessed to be friends with such a person and his willingness to share his expertise.

From Contributor R:
It sounds like a great offer from a good friend. I am a painter/finisher for 40 years now and continually use many of the materials and techniques used a long time ago. Card scrapers, shellac, waxes, dyes, shopmade grain fillers and putty, varnish wiped, shellac sticks, crayons and etc.

I have found it more difficult to apply traditional touch up methods for WB finishing. I do 100% WB and I can tell you the touch up end has a long way to go. I have yet to find a single finishing putty that you can spray WB over and have it adhere. Same with wax crayons. Because stain markers are solvent-based they tend to glare under a WB topcoat.

From Contributor F

Click to View Member Profile Member Photo Member Contact Info Forum Posts Categories

Jonathan, seal in your conventional touch ups using Mohawk's Finish Up (wipe on waterbase touch up coating) as a barrier coat. If you need another step, an additional barrier coat then use Mohawk's aerosol precat over the Finish Up wipe on. Then, continue your shop finishing as normal.