Kerfing and Bending Curved Stair Risers

Woodworkers describe in detail their techniques for fabricating curved stair risers. July 27, 2008

Question
I've been making round risers for quite a few years by kerfing them and bending them around end blocks with limited sucess. I've been using oak plywood that the contractor supplies lately and have been having a heck of a time. I know there’s a formula as to the radius and the spacing of the kerfs but don't remember it. Any help on the subject would be appreciated.

I never used a formula but I use about the blade kerf for the cut and leave about 1/8 to 1/4 between kerfs depending on the radius. The key to success is very consistent spacing and very consistent depth. I also run two dados in the back of the rise along the length about 3/4 in from each edge. My radius "form" blocks go in the dado. I then usually smear some adhesive in the kerfs.

If you have a light weight circular saw use it with a large homemade wood t-square that you cut through on the first pass. Spacing should not be a whole lot wider than the saw kerf. This method is actually fairly quick and there is no danger of going through the face such as a radial arm saw or miter saw as the piece gets flexible. Put a mark on the t-fence to automatically slide to the next kerf. If you are on a good work surface there is no need to clamp just get a good hold and go for it. From there everything Contributor J said is spot on.

We have been doing it exactly the way Contributor J has been for many years with almost no problems. Dado first (1/2 the thickness) then kerf about every 1/4 ". Consistent spacing is very important. We do use our radial arm and it has to be set up right.

Why not just build them up with thin laminates, form to the proper radius, and glue it up?

Thanks for the input. As usual your advice is helpful. I use a sliding miter saw and I did notice a kerf or two was just the least bit deeper and that’s where I get the flat spot. Must be as you've said it lifted up a bit. What is the reason for the dados? To keep the end blocks aligned? What thickness - end blocks 3/4"?

We cut radius plates and then wrap them with bending luan and then use wood veneer of the desired species. We got away from kerfing a long time ago because of the same problems you have mentioned.

Ditto Contributor T. When time permits make a nice reusable jig. 6 or 8 inches tall and 6" radius or what you need - 5 plys from the band saw and then wide belt for a decent glue surface. Wet the plys for flexibility and a slower glue dry. Paper towel dry them, we use titebond II, and clamp over night. We do the ripping when we need a few and always re-saw a few extra. Glue up one a day for week or so.

I also make my own starter risers with kerfed plywood. I have an old Delta sawbuck (for the older guys, this is the 4' wide , basically a circular saw that slides on 2 rails, mine is one of the last models, and the motor is height adjustable for dadoing). I put a wood sub-fence on it and adjusted it to make a down to a light 1/8" kerf, and leave it that way as a dedicated kerfing machine, the fence is marked to make a kerf at 3/16 spacing.

After making a end block, upper and lower ply with blocking in middle (to screw in the shure-tite bolt, I use) to the height I need less 1/2", I tack on a 1/4" ply on bottom, squeegee some construction adhesive in kerfs of ply, and on a flat table , wrap it (on edge) with a couple tacks at each end, doesn't take too long to make any size or configuration I need. Then pop off the 1/4" ply spacer, which leaves me with a 1/4" spacing at top and bottom of block, for any scribing.

I can't see any purpose or the time it would take to make a starter out of laminations (waste of time). If I need one out of a different wood, then standard oak or birch or an available ply, then I make it and just veneer over. It's a starter riser, no need to make it a difficult process.

We do a lot of these. We cheat a little though, we have our CNC run the two dados, whatever the desired length, then either use and aggregate to put saw blade kerfs every 3/16", or a 1/2" tool to put a kerf, with about 3/8" spacing, and we take it down to about 0.080 and then use 1/2" PB for the inserts that snap into the dado grooves for the proper shape. If the kerfs vary in depth, you'll snap them all the time. If they're a good consistent depth, you shouldn't need to wet them for a standard 6" radius. We haven’t, and we run a lot of exotics, such as cumaru, ipe etc. as well as oaks, maple, hickory etc.