LED Under-Cabinet Lighting Ideas

This thread about LED kitchen lighting includes a look at a nifty custom solution. March 12, 2015

Question (WOODWEB Member)

Member

Iím trying to find some decent LED under counter lights that are dimmable, not the cheap ones from the big box. Does anyone have a good source?

From Contributor A:
I've been using Diode LED. I get it from my locale electrical distributor. They have both dimmable and non-dimmable drivers as well as all the needed connectors and proximity switches for auto on/off doors and drawers.

Hafele. I mostly use the LOOX 12 volt system. Itís dimmable through the 12 volt transformer with their touch dimmer. If your application requires a wall slide dimmer such as Lutron Maestro you will need a magnetic or electronic transformer and an inline diode to prevent LED flickering at low output levels. This applies a small load to keep the power from becoming unstable.

We find the Loox LED lighting from Hafele to be the highest quality for the best price. Loox also has a 24V ribbon with closer together diodes. When combined with their aluminum extrusion with milk diffuser, you get a nice light free of individual dots of light. This works especially well for under cabinet lights which might be reflecting off of shiny granite.

We make a groove in the bottom of our cabinets and install the led strips in an aluminum channel as shown in the pic. We groove the back or side of the cabinet for the wires and plan electrical outlets in areas like double oven cabinets or over fridge cabinets. We only use UL approved products. Many clients plan on off switches on the backsplash or wherever they want to control these lights.