Laminate Trimming Bits

Considering the pros and cons of different laminate trimming bits. March 14, 2006

Question
I have been using a regular laminate trim bit (no bearing), but I worked with a guy today who says he uses the same bit but it has a 7 degree angle to it. Evidently it makes it easier to file the excess from the top, since there is not as much. First, does such bit exist? Second, does it really work better with no problems?

(Laminate and Solid Surfacing Forum)
There is such a bit, but I like the straight ones myself. The ones with the angle can trim closer, but can also trim too close, as in taking off the color on the edge. Because the cutting edge is on an angle, you have to be more careful with the height adjustment, the deeper you go the closer it cuts. You may want to try one to see how you like it.

The trick is to trim with the straight, clean the glue off and then go over with the bevel bit. This will leave an edge with very little filing.

They work great until you have to remake a top when it burns the edge because the laminate is a little thinner and the operator is not paying attention. Another good one is the no-file laminate bit, but again it is easy to screw up a top if you are not very careful.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll have to try all of them and see what works best for me.