Lamination Thickness for Curved Door Rails

Advice on specifying the laminations for gluing up a curved (bow front) door rail. June 16, 2014

I am making some radius doors and need to make some curved rails from solid oak. Any guidance on what thickness of lamels to use?

Without knowing what radius I don't know the answer. A fair place to start would be 1/8". Not thin enough and you will have spring back, too thin and it actually can pull in to a tighter radius.

From Contributor G

Click to View Member Profile Shop Gallery Project Gallery Categories

3/32 is a very good starting point - very little chance of spring-back.

Contributor G - you cheat me by 1/32! But 3/32" is a good start I have to agree. It still depends on radius. We are doing another bank job with a bunch of curved panels on the teller stations. The panels are removable to get to the wiring so they have to maintain their shape without help. Made hollow with thin face and back plies, curved ribs, cherry veneered.

From Contributor G

Remember the glue takes up some room too.

Sorry I should have mentioned the doors have a 450mm radius. I used some 4mm/3/16 but had problems with it not being pliable enough.

3/16 is pretty thick especially at that radius. Try Contributor G's 3/32. I think there is a calculator here at WOODWEB that has the recommended thicknesses for various radii.

For cold laminating I'd do 2mm for that radius. No PVAa glue.

Well we have gone for 2.5 and Titebond 3.