Locating a Vacuum Leak

Advice on finding the slow leak in a vaccum-bag veneering setup. May 3, 2011

Question
I have a vacuum bag and there is a leak somewhere. Is there a simple way of finding this leak? If it were under pressure, I could check for leaks with a liquid around the connections, but being on a vacuum, all connections would be sucking.

Why not just use an air hose and slightly pressurize the bag and do the soapy water test?

Try lining the bag with newspaper, pump it down, then sponge the outside with water. You should be able to see a stain where the leak is located. Also check around the connector to the bag and put water in the lip where the end closure closes the bag. We sell patch kits or you could purchase a vinyl pool repair kit which will stick to a vinyl or polyurethane bag.

That's a cool way to detect it - good thinking. Has it happened to you before and you needed to use this method?

We have been selling VAKuum Pressing and Klamping equipment for over 18 years and have over 8000 customers. These techniques evolve by talking with customers and developing solutions to their problems.

This is the first time use for this bag. It's brand new. I'm thinking my problems are in the connections. I guess what I'll do is purchase the proper plugs, and work my way back one connection at a time from the bag to the vac pump. But I will keep the newspaper trick in mind if it comes down to the bag, as a last resort. Thanks.