Machinery for Cutting Box Joints

      It's called a "hauncher." Here's a picture of one. November 28, 2006

Is there a production machine specifically designed for making box joints? I need a machine that will do 1/4 box joints in material 3/4" thick and up to 16" wide in a single pass. I'd like to find alternatives to converting a multi-spindle dovetailer for this purpose.

Forum Responses
(Solid Wood Machining Forum)
From contributor B:
I have been collecting parts to build one. Don't know if anyone makes them. I really don't like making them on a table saw for two reasons: 1) too slow and 2) not happy with leaning over a spinning blade.

From contributor K:
The machine you need is called a hauncher. It has a horizontal arbor that allows you to stack blades and spacers. It’s used to cut finger joints, box joints, and any other shaper type cut primarily to the end of boards. Mine has a 12” arbor, but you can put an index pin in the table and shift the board to allow an endless cut. I too originally was going to build my own machine and spent time and money on the arbor and bearings and steel, but realized in the long run it would be easier to buy the machine. There aren’t a lot of haunchers out there for sale, but they’re not in big demand, so if you look around or catch one at auction, you can get a good deal. If you look at the picture, the boards are held flat with pneumatic hold downs and the whole arbor assembly moves down through the material.

Click here for better quality, full size image

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Solid Wood Machining

  • KnowledgeBase: Solid Wood Machining: General

  • Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2019 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

    WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article