Machinery for Making Rosettes

Specialized equipment works better than a standard drill press for cutting rosettes. September 27, 2008

Question
Im who is having success making rosettes. What cutters do you like to use?

The best way to make rosettes is using a lathe or a milling machine. Most drill presses are pretty fussy due to lack of feed control. Amana sells a nice set of carbides as well as corrugated HSS for custom profiles.

I have a set from Amana, works well in my mill but the drill press didn't like it.

There is an automatic Rosette machine called the Mikron R200 Automatic Rosette Machine. With the consistent feed speed and the spindle RPM it makes rosette a breeze.

These are difficult on a drill press. Can be done but much patience and a light touch on the elevation wheel is needed. I have done them several times with success. I first hone the back of the cutter to a mirror polish and work the bevels with Arkansas files. I think it helps also to have a drill press with infinite speed dial instead of change pulley speed

The milling machine works better because you can slowly raise the table up versus quickly turning down the quill.