Matching Toekicks

Toekicks should usually match the cabinets, not the floor. January 10, 2006

Question
For toekicks, do you match the cabinet or match the flooring?

Match the cabinet.

Matching the cabinet may show wood when the floor is hardwood or vinyl. When the floor is tile, I always try to sell the client on running the tile up onto the toekicks. Lacquered toe kicks are really a bad idea, but then when I look at the so called floor mops being sold today they donít really have much water involved in the process.

I do mine a dull black lacquer. That way they disappear.

Most of mine end up same as cabinet, however, I personally think black looks better with most stain-grade cabs, but I sell very few. I don't push the black too hard when our shop finishes, simply because it's easier.

I attach my toekicks with pocket screws (from the rear). That way I just take them off to finish them black. It also makes it easier if you need to scribe the toekicks when you install - you can remove them to do your cutting. I do a lot of old houses and my kicks always need to be scribed.

Always match the cabinet unless the client wants something different.

Match the cabs, although I did a nice modern kitchen last year where I put in extruded aluminium toekicks. Looked really cool with high gloss doors, but probably not everyone's taste!