Matching the Amber Tint of Pre-Finished Plywood

A finisher gets advice on adding a slight amber glow to drawer fronts and boxes to match his prefinished plywood cabinet interiors. September 3, 2010

Question
I have cabinets constructed with a clear pre-finished birch plywood. I have to build drawers and roll out shelves and spray a clear, natural finish on them. There is a slight amber in the pre-finished stuff and I would like to have my work look similar. I'm sure lacquer would be fine, but I would like to try a waterborne product and still achieve the slight amber effect and some durability for kitchen use. Any suggestions?

You could get some clear water based poly and add some colorant to get the desired amber color.

Look at Fuhr Industries and Target Coatings. They both have solvent look products, meaning they have a slight amber or they color naturally with the wood. The other possibility is to find a natural stain.

The easiest and quickest way to achieve this is with a spit coat of thinned diluted amber shellac. I know this is not a water-borne finish, but I have had no luck matching a lacquer based clear with water-borne counterpart. This technique dries very quickly, so you can apply your final water-borne coats.