Metal Detector Choices

Sawmill operators discuss the cost and capabilities of metal detectors. October 20, 2005

Question
I have a new band mill on order and want to protect the blades and mill. I ran a search here, but nothing came up to give me what I wanted. I would like to know how much I should spend on a metal detector for checking 16" deep into logs. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brands to use?

I’m not sure how much they are, but Schonstead makes some nice ones that will detect small items pretty deep into the soil (greater than 2 feet) so it should work for log diameters.

I use a Fisher CZ70 to find nails. It can detect a nail at over 1 foot, but I would re-check every 4 inches or so to be sure. (Every fourth cut if the boards are around an inch thick).

I have been having very good luck with my metal detecting unit. I bought it to hunt treasure. It's several years old now so the new ones will be even better. My unit is like the CZ-70 mentioned. It's a Fisher CZ-7 Quick Silver. It cost around $600 new. Detector shops will have used CZ-7 Quick Silver units at a very good price. It's best if you can take a used unit out on the job to see for your self. I have found several nails in logs with my CZ-7 but the blade hasn't found any, yet.

To contributor L: That's the exact unit I use. I said CZ70 because it is the updated version of the CZ7 which is no longer available. It's basically the exact same machine, but the newer CZ70 has a speaker which allows you to work without having to wear the headset, and it has a revision made to the battery setup. The older CZ7 would drain the batteries when they were left in it for a long period of time, where the newer CZ70 has fixed this problem. (It’s never been a problem to me though). They are great machines. I have used mine looking for old coins or whatnot around old homesites and have found some things pretty darn deep, probably 1 1/2 feet. That's why I bought this particular machine though - it's supposed to detect deeper than most any of the others.

I purchased a Rens 3000 several years ago and found great success with the unit. It cost me around $1,500 at the time, but it was money well spent. I have been able to detect metal through a 3' Walnut with no problems. I have been able to detect water and power lines as deep as 4' into the ground.