Metal Edging for Wall Panels

Suggestions for a satin-finished aluminum panel edge detail. June 23, 2006

I'm a designer seeking a cost effective way to achieve an exposed satin metal edge between wood wall panels. I would like 3/16"-1/4" of exposed metal that would be approximately 1/8" proud of the wall finish. Preferably a squared edge, but a bull nose may be acceptable.

We have done this in the past. We use file stop rails - they are 1/2 wide, 1/8" thick and come in 12 foot lengths. We kerf the 3/4" plywood the depth we want.

The file stop rail sounds promising. I like the idea of kerfing to get the desired depth. I'm not familiar with "file stop rails." Is this rolled steel plate or some sort of mass produced extrusion?

The file stops are the aluminum rails that hold hanging files. The ones we use are by Kinetron Corp. They come in 8 foot lengths, 1/8" thick and either 1/2" or 5/8" wide. We get ours through Louis and Company and it costs about $2.75 each.

We have been very successful using an off the shelf 3/4 x/34 aluminum angle, screwed on from the back. The panels can be sized to appropriate thickness for a flush or proud metal edge. We've done some neat work on curved panel edges by doing multiple notches on the hidden leg of the angle.