Metal Edging for Wall Panels

      Suggestions for a satin-finished aluminum panel edge detail. June 23, 2006

I'm a designer seeking a cost effective way to achieve an exposed satin metal edge between wood wall panels. I would like 3/16"-1/4" of exposed metal that would be approximately 1/8" proud of the wall finish. Preferably a squared edge, but a bull nose may be acceptable.

Forum Responses
(Architectural Woodworking Forum)
From contributor B:
We have done this in the past. We use file stop rails - they are 1/2 wide, 1/8" thick and come in 12 foot lengths. We kerf the 3/4" plywood the depth we want.

From the original questioner:
The file stop rail sounds promising. I like the idea of kerfing to get the desired depth. I'm not familiar with "file stop rails." Is this rolled steel plate or some sort of mass produced extrusion?

From contributor B:
The file stops are the aluminum rails that hold hanging files. The ones we use are by Kinetron Corp. They come in 8 foot lengths, 1/8" thick and either 1/2" or 5/8" wide. We get ours through Louis and Company and it costs about $2.75 each.

From contributor R:
We have been very successful using an off the shelf 3/4 x/34 aluminum angle, screwed on from the back. The panels can be sized to appropriate thickness for a flush or proud metal edge. We've done some neat work on curved panel edges by doing multiple notches on the hidden leg of the angle.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Custom Millwork

  • KnowledgeBase: Architectural Millwork: Millwork Installer

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2020 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article