Metal Liners for Wood Range Hoods

Wood range hoods must have non-combustible liners. May 22, 2006

Question
When you custom-build a hood, do you always use a metal liner? I bought a unit for a wood hood and it says no liner required. Also, I would like to know of a good supplier of these units.

What exactly do you mean by liner? In our hood systems, we buy a fan system and attach it to the wooden construct.

You have one piece that is the motor, fan and lights and filters. The liner is just a thin metal rectangle box, usually about four inches deep, that has a cut out in the middle for the fan assembly to bolt into. The liner then would be the same dimensions as the inside of the wood hood.

If given the option, I would always use a liner. It makes it easier to clean off grease, brightens up the recess and finishes it off and I would think it somewhat fireproofs, or at least retards, the bottom of the hood. It can get pretty hot up there by the vent.

Wood and heat, very hot heat, and possibly fire, will never mix. Get the liner, man.

Wood hoods are *required* to be a minimum of 24" above the heat source and the bottom *must* be fire resistant, i.e. metal. Same goes for *corbels* and such, although they are not required to have metal, because they are off to the sides, but the 24" minimum rule applies. This is why you see hoods with corbels that are much wider than the cook top. I have seen a few pictures where the corbels are low and within 12" of the fire.