Mitered-Corner Cabinet Case Joinery

Advice on making mitered corner joints for cabinet carcases. January 20, 2010

Question
I have clients that want modern or contemporary kitchens. They want some opened cabinets constructed with 2'' components (sides, tops and bottoms), assembled at 45 degrees, not 90 degree but joint! Has anybody done this? What would be the best ''productive'' way to accomplish this as we would make it a standard offering?

Are you talking about something like a speaker box, with the grain wrapping around the case? I would think miter folding would be the way to go.

It would look like the construction of a speaker box with wood veneered 2'' sheet stock. I will try to find an image to post.

I am finishing a cabinet right now with 45 deg sides to fit into a corner. I got some router bits for the joint. I don't remember where I got them but if you search the net you'll find some. They worked great. Here's my project pictures, one shows the bits.

Wine Cabinet

Thanks for the information on the bit set. I do need this type of bit set but it is not in the application I'm looking for.

You could add dovetail keys along the length of the miters. You will need a sled for your router table to accomplish this. I don't think that it would be as fast as some of the other options but this method of joinery would be very strong, and the client would definitely be impressed.