Motor Vehicles Paperwork for a Portable Bandmill

      Info on bill-of-sale, title, registration, and insurance technicalities for bandsaw mill trailers. December 9, 2010

When you buy a Wood-Mizer or other brand from someone out of state what do you do for a license plate to haul it home? Does it come with some sort of title, registration or bill of sale that is official looking?

Forum Responses
(Sawing and Drying Forum)
From contributor U:
Wood-Mizers, at least those with a trailer package, have a vin number. There is a tag on the axle. I believe there is also a tag on the saw frame and possibly one on the saw head.

From contributor Y:
It depends on the state. Some states regard a portable sawmill as farm equipment. When we pulled our mill home from Indy, they issued us some temporary plates. When we got to Missouri, we didnít need plates. Your state may require them.

From contributor D:
My Wood-Mizer was delivered to CT. From the sales rep I received a bill of sale with VIN # for the trailer package, with the trailer package cost listed as its value, together with a different receipt for the sawmill and accessories. The bill of sale for the trailer package was what I registered at the DMV. I never noticed where the VIN# is located on the mill. This has another consequence in that in my area, property tax is assessed by individual towns on the value of registered vehicles, and separately on the value of declared business assets.

From contributor R:
In Minnesota only trailers that can haul more than one thing need to be licensed most of the time. What don't need a license are things like sawmill's, wood splitters, air compressors.

From contributor A:
I do not know about the others but if you are buying a WM get the vin# from the seller and call WM. They can check the number and see if it is stolen or who owns it. The one selling it needs to call so WM can transfer it to you so you will be able to buy parts from them.

In Arkansas I had to have a trailer tag put on my mill. WM gave me a title and bill of sale for mine. Now here is the fine line they do not tell you. When I bought my mill and towed it home it was covered by my truck insurance. Once I started a mobile sawing service it was no longer covered by my truck insurance till I put commercial tags on my truck. So check with your insurance and state on tagging it. Most places allow you ten days with a bill of sale and insurance to get tags or will issue a temp tag to get home if you have the info.

From contributor P:
We received our LT 40 from the Oregon outlet, trailed it through Washington and Canada to Alaska, no problems. We did have the paperwork and all but werenít asked for any of it.

From contributor C:
When I bought my LT40, I received a MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin) from Wood-Mizer. That's like a birth certificate for a car. If you register it new, you would give that to the DMV. Most people never see one because the car dealer usually does the DMV paperwork.

Would you like to add information to this article?
Interested in writing or submitting an article?
Have a question about this article?

Have you reviewed the related Knowledge Base areas below?
  • KnowledgeBase: Knowledge Base

  • KnowledgeBase: Business

  • KnowledgeBase: Business: Legal

  • KnowledgeBase: Primary Processing

  • KnowledgeBase: Primary Processing: Sawmilling

    Would you like to add information to this article? ... Click Here

    If you have a question regarding a Knowledge Base article, your best chance at uncovering an answer is to search the entire Knowledge Base for related articles or to post your question at the appropriate WOODWEB Forum. Before posting your message, be sure to
    review our Forum Guidelines.

    Questions entered in the Knowledge Base Article comment form will not generate responses! A list of WOODWEB Forums can be found at WOODWEB's Site Map.

    When you post your question at the Forum, be sure to include references to the Knowledge Base article that inspired your question. The more information you provide with your question, the better your chances are of receiving responses.

    Return to beginning of article.

    Refer a Friend || Read This Important Information || Site Map || Privacy Policy || Site User Agreement

    Letters, questions or comments? E-Mail us and let us know what you think. Be sure to review our Frequently Asked Questions page.

    Contact us to discuss advertising or to report problems with this site.

    To report a problem, send an e-mail to our Webmaster

    Copyright © 1996-2018 - WOODWEB ® Inc.
    All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in any manner without permission of the Editor.
    Review WOODWEB's Copyright Policy.

    The editors, writers, and staff at WOODWEB try to promote safe practices. What is safe for one woodworker under certain conditions may not be safe for others in different circumstances. Readers should undertake the use of materials and methods discussed at WOODWEB after considerate evaluation, and at their own risk.

    WOODWEB, Inc.
    335 Bedell Road
    Montrose, PA 18801

    Contact WOODWEB

  • WOODWEB - the leading resource for professional woodworkers

      Home » Knowledge Base » Knowledge Base Article