Mounting Cork to Drywall

Incorporating a large cork bulletin board into a custom kitchen. May 4, 2005

Question
I have been requested to make a rather large bulletin board area as part of my client's kitchen remodel. Because of the size, about 10'x 3', I am planning to use 2'x 4' sheets of cork and would like to attach them directly to the wall. Does anyone have suggestions on the type of adhesive to use? My biggest concern is that I have a minimum of 5 minutes working time since I can already tell that lining up the sheets of cork will not be an easy task.

(Adhesives Forum)
We do it just like Plam Sta-put or some other aerosol contact cement. It'll be tacky enough to hold some lightweight sticks to the wall while you find your alignment. Sometimes we glue it to a panel and use brads and panel adhesive, but then you need an edge treatment.

Making and installing the panel might take a bit more effort, but it can be easily removed. What happens when the glued on cork begins to crumble?

I just had to do something similar for an office we fitted out. Our cork supplier recommended using a linoleum adhesive with small finish nails along the edge to help hold the sheet up while the glue sets (we did an entire wall). Glue is troweled on with plenty of open time, and you may need to roll the edges if there is a seam. It worked great.

I just finished a similar project, except instead of gluing it directly to the wall, I screwed a piece of 1/2 MDF to the wall and then used a spray glue to glue the cork to the board. This way, if I ever want to take it down, I don't destroy the drywall. All I will need to do is patch a few screw holes. It took a lot of spray glue and smell, so next time I would probably try the linoleum adhesive.