Mounting a Power Feeder

Quick tips on attaching a power feeder to a table saw. November 27, 2007

I just purchased a 1 HP stock power feeder and Im trying to select the best spot on my table saw to mount it. I will be ripping 10 to 12 wide 6 to 14 long boards.

For straight 90 degree edge ripping, your feeder base should be in the right hand table extension at the out feed edge. Set your fence a bit wider than the widest rip you want and then set the feeder on the saw for a mockup. This will show you the general area of attachment. Once you determine the location of the mounting bolt holes, check underneath the saw table to be sure to clear obstacles such as steel ribs, etc. I like to tap threads in mine rather than using bolts and nuts, which are a hassle when it is hard to reach underneath to hold the nut and washers. I tap threaded bolt holes on the left and right so I can use the feeder for two different types of operations. A nut driver in a cordless drill has my feeder on or off the saw in just a few minutes.

We added a feeder to our saw by modifying a bracket sold by Felder for their combination machines that allow you to tilt the feeder below the tabletop. This way it is there when you need it, but you can still rip large panels or do crosscutting. It works great.