Mounting a Ripsaw Blade on a Four-Head Moulder

Some moulders are set up to allow ripping, but there are safety issues to consider. March 31, 2008

Question
I am getting a used Weinig Q23P machine. I see that a ripsaw blade can be mounted on the top spindle. What are the benefits? Can I produce my moulding blanks from R1E material? I have a straight line rip, but I can start getting my lumber straight lined for 6 cents bf. I am a one man custom moulding shop. Any thoughts on this?

We use it to split small mouldings that we run two at a time, such as shoe and quarter round, reducer, etc.

A Weinig Quatromat 23 is a 4 head moulder (bottom, right, left, top). There are a few things you will want to think about. First, if you're using a saw blade to split, it should be mounted on an etp hydraulic sleeve to keep it from spinning on the shaft. Also I would recommend an anti-kickback device if you are splitting lumber. Keep in mind the Quatromat style of feed beam is not independent from the top head; they move together, unlike most conventional moulders. You will also need a bedpalate made of something other than the metal one it comes with so you can cut into it while splitting.

Thanks for the info. I think I better hang on to my ripsaw and use the Weinig for its primary purpose. Sounds safer to me.

From Dave Rankin, forum technical advisor:
I agree with contributor R. A kickback device is required for shops that fall under OSHA regulations. As a one man shop this device could be considered optional. In my view, one kickback can ruin a day or a life.

With a 4 head machine you would want to get rubber feed rollers too, to eliminate feed wheel marks. I have good luck on a 5 head with the blades on the last bottom. A slab of phenolic resin board on the pressure shoe for the blades to cut into. No other bells or whistles (although not legal); never had any problems. I believe nowadays, when you buy a new Weinig, if they find out you're ripping on a moulder with only 6000rpm motors, you will lose the warrantee.

Sorry - I thought you were talking about finished product until I re-read your original post. It sounds like you want to turn your moulder into a gang rip type of machine. It can be done. It might be worth trying. Just make sure (like stated above) you have good hold downs. If you're not that busy, I would just stick with the SLR saw. I don't know. Making a moulder do things it's not really designed to do gives me a rush. I guess it's just the challenge. As long as safety is before quality until you get it figured out, I say go for it! One last thing. Know the limits of your machine. Don't beat on it or it will wear out quick!